If you are leaving the UAE for good, you would need to obtain a clearance from Etisalat. Having lived in the Emirates for almost 10 years, I know that a simple procedure could turn out to be your worst nightmare.
My family and I are leaving the country in mid April. In early February, I went to Etisalat Spinney's to ask how could I obtain a clearance certificate from Etisalat. The Customer Service Representative there told me the following:
- Etisalat clearance could only be obtained from Etisalat's main branch - the one in Airport Road.
- If your payments are up-to-date, you can get the clearance the same day.
- Apply for disconnection on the same day that you apply for clearance. Please note that Etisalat requires one month's notice for the disconnection.
Since we will be staying in our flat until 15 April 2014, I decided to go to Etisalat on 23 March to apply for my clearance.
The following are the steps in getting you clearance:
- Go to the 3rd floor.
- Proceed to the Enquiry section, ask for the appropriate form and your ticket number.
- Fill up the form.
- Wait.... wait.... and wait....for your number to be called.
- When called, give the following documents to the counter - Clearance form, passport copy, visa copy and EID copy. Trust me, it's better to give all these documentations though only the passport copy is being asked as per the clearance form.
- Ask if you can apply for disconnection at the same time, unless you want to come back and apply another day. I applied for clearance and disconnection on the same day.
- Wait for your claim slip.
- Go home take a rest, and return to Etisalat the next day for your clearance.
To claim your clearance, here are the steps:
- Go to the 4th floor.
- Proceed to counter #1 (this guy is the one responsible for clearances).
- Present your claim slip.
- Get your clearance.
It should have been a very easy procedure. Mine was a bit complicated. Because I applied for disconnection and clearance at the same time, when I went to the 4th floor to get the clearance, the man told me that he couldn't issue my clearance because I also applied for disconnection. I was like - WTF!!!! What is the difference between applying for a clearance today and coming back tomorrow to apply for disconnection? Besides, it was Etisalat Khalidiya who instructed me to apply for clearance and disconnection at the same time and who told me that Etisalat requires one month's notice for disconnection. The man further told me that for disconnection there are two options:
- Apply for disconnection on that day, bring your decoder, pay your dues and the service will automatically be disconnected on the same day and then you can apply for clearance.
- Give one month's notice, bring your decoder after the notice period and the service will be disconnected on that day and then you can apply for clearance.
I was like - NO! I told the man that I even asked the person on the 3rd floor if I can have my clearance first then give one month's notice for disconnection and he said that it was okay. I just didn't accept what this man was trying to tell me so he went down to the 3rd floor himself and confirmed with I dunno who so when he returned to the 4th floor, he gave me the clearance with no questions asked.
My advice - To make it less complicated for you, do not apply for the clearance and disconnection on the same day. For your clearance, just make sure that your payments are up-to-date. For the disconnection, you can apply the week after you took your clearance and give your month's notice. I noticed that one person is saying a different thing from another though they are both working in the same company.
I am sure glad that I am done with this step. Now off to our visa cancellation!